Heart diseases (Hrid Roga) have been elaborately discussed in Ayurveda. The five types of heart disease have been classified on the basis of Dosas.
Most of physician gives guidelines to help you reduce the risk of future problems of heart. These guidelines can help to you & your doctor develop a treatment plan including medicines/ Ayurvedic medicine and lifestyle changes such as diet and physical activity for all your risk factors.
1. Cigarette smoking results in a much higher risk of dying of coronary heart disease. Smoking robs the heart of oxygen-rich blood and increases the effects of other risk factors, including blood pressure, blood cholesterol levels and physical inactivity.
2. Optimal blood pressure is less than 120/80 mm Hg (systolic pressure is 120 and diastolic pressure is less than 80). Pre hypertension is systolic pressure from 120-139 systolic OR diastolic pressure from 80-89. High blood pressure is systolic pressure of 140 or higher OR diastolic pressure of 90 or higher.
When blood pressure is higher, your heart has to work harder. Changes in health habits such as losing weight, eating less sodium (salt) and enjoying regular physical activity can help lower blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, staying on your medicines is critical to prevent heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease and heart failure.Monitor your blood pressure as your doctor advises. Keep track of your readings with our blood pressure tracker.
3. High blood cholesterol occurs if your body makes too much cholesterol or if you eat foods that have too much saturated fat and trans fat. For patients with coronary heart disease that are at high risk, treatment focuses on reducing cholesterol. To lower your cholesterol, you may need to change your eating habits and lose weight. Speak with your doctor to see if you should be taking a cholesterol medicine along with making these lifestyle changes.
4.Waist circumference not more than 40 inches for men and not more than 35 inches for women (Recommendations are lower for people of Asian descent: 37–39 inches for men and 31–35 inches for women.)
Regular physical activity has many benefits such as helping you quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, lower blood pressure and increase HDL cholesterol. Doing aerobic exercise using large muscles of the legs and arms helps your heart work more efficiently. Physical activities to improve your strength, flexibility and balance help you stay agile as you age.
If patient have heart problems with respective symptoms then following diseases may occur–
- Pain at the back of the neck (occipital headache)
- Dizziness or vertigo
Make an appointment to see your doctor/ vaidya. If Symptoms may occur:
- Chest pain (angina)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain, numbness, weakness or coldness in your legs or arms if the blood vessels in those parts of your body are narrowed
- Pain in the neck, jaw, throat, upper abdomen or back