Vasavaleha is polyherbal Ayurvedic preparation which is used to treat productive cough, cold, asthma and many other bleeding disorders. It is an Ayurvedic Avaleha in semi-solid form. For preparing Vasavaleha, first Vasaka decoction is prepared by boiling its Swaras in water. Vasa decoction is filtered and sugar is added. This combination is cooked and thickened. Then it is removed from stove and Pippali churna and Ghee are added to get Vasavaleha It is generally taken by licking.
Ingredients of Vasavaleha
- Vasa or Arusa(Adhatoda vasica)Swaras/fresh leaves juice
- Sita or Sugar
- Madhu or honey
- Gau Ghrita or Ghee
Vasavaleha is combination of five natural ingredients which are well known for treating respiratory problems. Arusa or Vasa has expectorant and bronchodilator action. Ayurveda recommends it use for difficult berating, Asthma, and cough. Arusa leaves contains chief quinazoline alkaloid vasicine which is a bitter bronchodilator, respiratory stimulant, hypotensive, cardiac depressant, uterotonic and abortifacient. Pippali or long pepper fruits contain alkaloid Piperine. Piperine has antiseptic and expectorant properties. Honey has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties. Honey and Misri gives sweet taste to the medicine. Cow’s milk ghee has also great therapeutic value.
Vasavaleha is useful medicine for treating any type of coughing, respiratory illness, chronic cough. It gives relief in swelling (inflammation) in the airways. It is more useful in chronic respiratory illness. It is also given to children with honey,3-4 times a day, in kukkur khnasi or Whooping cough.
Vasavaleha is also useful in treatment of Raktapitta (Bleeding disorder), Rajayakshma (Tuberculosis), Raktapradar, Bleeding piles, Bloody dysentery.
Other conditions in which Vasavaleha is indicated are Angina pectoris and Parshva shula (Intercostal neuralgia and pleurodynia).
- 6 – 12 grams once or two times a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- It is usually administered with milk/honey/warm water
- Dosage for children below 5 years of age – 1 – 2 grams, once or twice a day, along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water or milk.
- Dosage for children between 5 – 12 years of age – 5 grams once or twice a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water or milk.