Skin (Twak) is the biggest organ of the our body. It is in terms of both weight between 6 and 9 pounds and surface area about 2 square yards.Seven distinct layers of the skin in Ayurveda. It is located from outer epidermis to deep dermis layer of the body. Hence causes of skin diseases have deep root therefore its medicine also have to be penetrative.
Main functions of the skin are-
1. Temperature regulation and Sensation which transmitting to the brain information about surroundings.
2. It protects you from bacteria and viruses.
Causes of Skin Diseases
Excessive consumption of incompatible foods like cold &hot food, salty, spicy, sour, fermented or fried, late night dinners, excessive exercise and stress can be responsible for causing eczema. Excessive intakes of tea, coffee, cold drink,Alcoholic beverages. Environmental factors like soaps, detergents, shampoos, disinfectants, juices from fresh fruits.dus particles, pets, pollens grains, fungi, viruses, very hot or cold climate, high and low humidity, more sweating during exercise. Skin diseases are due to imbalances in all the three doshas (vata, pitta, kapha). The main dosha involved in skin disease is pitta. Pitta symbolizes heat or digestive fire. Genetic disorders and mental stress and fatigue can also aggravate skin problems.
Remedies for Skin Disease:
Removing the root cause is the main line of treatment in Ayurveda so eliminating or reducing all the foods which increase the Doshas.
In Ayurveda treatment starts with purification of the body and pass out excess body toxins.
Using Purgation or laxatives for the treatment of skin diseases offering a quick relief the pass out of the accumulated toxins, purification of the channels or the tissues. It also increasing Agni (digestive fire) at the time of digestion therefore will prevent the formation of Ama, which is primary causative factor.
If patient have skin problems with respective symptoms then following diseases may occur–
Urticaria Symptoms –
- Bumps present – red or skin-colored wheals with clear edges (Red rashes)
- Congestion of eyesSIGN
- Pressing the center of a red hive makes it turn white – a process called “blanching.”
Eczema Symptoms –
- Redness on skin
- Dry and flaky skin
- Rough and thickened skin
- Itchy blisters
- Inflammation of skin
- Dark colored patches of skin
- Oozing or crusting
- Loose silvery scales
- Itching or burning skin and inflammation
- Raised pus-filled skin bumps
- Skin redness around pustules
- Restricted joint movement
- Dry skin patches and Bleeding skin patches
Acne Symptoms –
- Pain in pimples.
- Pustules Leucoderma Symptoms –
- White patches (de-pigmentation) on skin
- Premature graying of scalp hair, eyelashes Syphilis Symptoms
- Enlargement of lymph nodes
- Enlarged tonsils
- Sore throat
- Macular rashes having pink appearance